Astro Digital designs, builds, and operates a diverse range of small satellite systems supporting space-based turnkey missions for several business applications, including earth observation, communications, in-orbit demonstrations, risk reduction, science, and exploration. Astro Digital is headquartered in Santa Clara, California with infrastructure around the globe. Note: Proof of COVID - 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for or medical or religious accommodation is necessary.
As a harnessing Technician you will partner with numerous engineering teams to provide quick turn harnessing that enables testing of development hardware. You will build, repair, and rework harnessing for various spaceflight systems You will work closely with the design engineering team on both early hardware development and setting the stage for later production hardware. We are looking for candidates who thrive in a fast paced, start-up like environment. To be successful you need to be highly motivated and detail oriented while showing the highest standards of execution. Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assembly of wire harness test and flight hardware
- Experience working with FOD and ESD sensitive hardware
- Execute test procedures for component and assembly level testing
- Assist in the setup and commissioning of production equipment
- Assemble tooling and assist with equipment maintenance
- Skilled in harness assembly and rework with a wide variety of connector types
- Experience interpreting complex wiring diagrams and pinouts
- Ability to assemble moderate volumes of harnessing with a production-based mentality
- Desire to provide ad-hoc technical assistance to customers, e.g. training on tool usage; guidance on material location and usage; fabrication support
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, attention-to-detail, and desire for continuous improvement
- Strong safety mentality
- Good written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in an environment of constantly evolving engineering needs
- Desire to maintain and develop a safe, clean, and productive laboratory space by practicing lab 5S standard methodologies
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Standard 8am-5pm schedule
Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum. Minimum Qualifications:
- Experience with hand soldering and fabrication techniques for both PCBs and harnessing (e.g. J-STD-001, IPC-A-610, IPC-A-620) with a focus on safety and quality control
- At least 3 years operational aerospace, aviation, or automotive experience
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: battery, harnessing, structures assembly and test, high voltage environments
- Ability to build from drawings or lightweight documentation
- Experience with rigging and lift operations
- Experience with aerospace, aviation, or automobile quality standard
- Clean Room Experience
- Familiarity with CAD Software
- Willingness to learn new tasks and take on different roles if needed
- >5 years working in manufacturing environment, using basic hand tools, torque tools, and quality
- IPC/WHMA-A-620 certified for wiring harness assembly (active or expired); NASA8739.4 or NAVAIR 50X.
- PCBA solder rework experience with IPC Class III boards – must be active IPC-610 Class III and/or IPC J-STD-001 certified
- Experience conducting environmental testing on flight Avionics components per written procedure, e.g., thermal, vibration, functional, performance.
- Previous experience with assembling circuit cards into mechanical enclosures for aerospace flight applications or other high reliability applications (e.g. medical or automotive) per written procedure
- Previous experience with assembling cable harness bundles for aerospace flight or automotive applications per written procedure and wiring schematic
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 22 CFR §120.15 and 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required.
During the course of the application and interview process for certain engineering positions, you may be asked to perform functional activities to demonstrate your skills with parts and equipment we work with. By agreeing to engage in such skills testing, you also agree not to disclose the specific activities you are asked to engage in or any other aspect of the skills demonstration.
Astro Digital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Astro Digital does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Santa Clara, CA